Saturday 3 January 2015

Christmas 2014

Hi everyone! I know that it has been a while since I have touched base but this season was just a busy one. We kicked off our holidays by going to see The Nutcracker ballet. I had never been before and I loved it. All of the dancers made everything look so effortless. 



The next day we went to Jasper and stayed at the Pyramid Lake Resort. This is one of our favourite places ever because it is where we got engaged in 2013. Their restaurant, "The Pines" is sooo good. If you ever get a chance, go there! It's adorable because aside from their delicious meals you can eat inside the restaurant, they offer up the chance for you to request a "packed lunch" for your adventure-packed hike on the mountain. 
I love going to Jasper all year-round but especially right before Christmas because the Christmas spirit is alive and well with all of the residents. It makes me feel like I'm a Who in Whoville. I love all of their Christmas dressings. We did some hiking, but mostly snuggling up by the fire and eating.





 the fireplace in The Pines Restaurant at Pyramid Lake Resort

 The boat house at Maligne Lake, Jasper, Alberta

 the eggs benedict at The Pines Restaurant at Pyramid Lake Resort

 the banana bread french toast (family recipe) at The Pines Restaurant at Pyramid Lake Resort

a girl can't have just one right?! beer sampler at Jasper Brewing Company

Instead of my usual handwritten cards I opted for a batch of cards to be done by Minted. I loved them and everyone has complimented us on them. I definitely will be doing this again next year. They even addressed our envelopes for us! Love it! 

excuse the nakedness of our tree, I still can't find the perfect tree skirt

After we got back from Jasper it was time to start attending a lot of family christmas parties. For Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we were at my parents house. I made my first christmas turkey ever. I made a brine and let it sit overnight.


Then the next day I took the big bird out and stuffed it with honey, garlic and lemon wedges and a blend of fresh herbs such as sage, rosemary, bayleafs, and thyme. I then massaged the body with olive oil and generously salted it. Then I sprinkled some parsley all over it. Popped it in the oven and voila, we had one deliciously juicy bird. 


Later that night, Zak, my brother Justin, and I decided to build gingerbread houses. This was so much fun. I hope it becomes a tradition for years to come. I love spending time with my family.




After we built our gingerbread houses we watched Frozen with my parents because they hadn't seen it. It is kind of funny to still hear them sing all of the songs! 

Christmas Day held its share of laughs, tears of happiness, and so much love. 
My love got me a gorgeous pair of earrings from our jeweller who handcrafted my engagement ring. Such a thoughtful gift. 


Christmas 2014 was filled with Wii bowling, Christmas spirit, family, and so so much love. I wouldn't want it to be any other way. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season.

Lots of love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment